Saturday, September 11, 2010

Singing

Right, so ever since punk, singers have thought they could get away with the worst voices in history. Now, I'm sorry if I'm suppose to say "Oh but Ian Curtis sang with such a unique voice!
I don't care. Although I'm not against shitty singers anyways. And yes, I did just insult Ian Curtis, more or less father of the Post-Punk Movement. It's just that between him and Morrisey, they gave an excuse for every winy emo band ever to exist.



Hell, I like both The Smiths, and Joy Division. This isn't even what I want to argue about. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have The Church.

My problem is this:



I want to meet the singer of this band and ask them, why the hell they sing like that. If I meet them in person and realized that they ALWAYS sounded like that, I'd feel bad. But I get the feeling that he was TRYING to be... something. Some singers come up with a really unique singing style. Ian Curtis was pretty "original" and so was Gary Numan.



Both Gary Numan, and Ian Curtis had reasons to sing the way they did, and it wasn't very novel. Ian Curtis had epilepsy, and regularly would collapse into seizure on stage, Gary Numan has a type of autism.

Now, Blackmail singer, as well as countless emo bands from around the world. Do you really have a reason to sing like that? It wouldn't be to cover the fact that you don't have the slightest idea how to sing would it? Because honestly, that would be less annoying.

/rant

No comments:

Post a Comment